Tuesday, April 1, 2014

An Embarrassment of Riches




















After a project there are sometimes leftover flowers and little bits of this and that. The ones that didn't get chosen because they were too closed, too open, not the right feel,  came in a mixed bouquet and didn't get used, etc. What a problem to have, eh? I guess a lot of businesses have perishable leftovers; leftover cakes, leftover coffee, leftover vegetables......

Here's some recent leftovers. Time to clear out the studio. Given this occasional predicament I've wondered "who needs flowers?" There's a retirement home I've taken leftovers to. They need flowers. And after this project I took some to the Center for Domestic Peace that helps abused women. I figured that either the women or women/men who help the women might need them too. I mean everyone needs flowers, right- the uplift, the beauty, the pause to look and wonder. But really it's so much more than that. A primal ancient relationship between us and them. 

I'm often surrounded by dying flowers. Tulips are particularly interesting to watch as they go from tight bud through fully open, to falling apart; one petal at a time. Buddy thinks so too.



No comments:

Post a Comment