Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Remembering

I can't look at an Easter Lily, Lilium longiforum, without thinking about- well, Easter. Being Sicilian and having grown up in a Catholic family, it was the traditional flower at church mass on Easter Sunday. No, not just one little flower in a flower pot up on the altar all by itself, but a chorus of lily plants. I imagine they still use lilies this way, though I haven't been to church for a long time. These days I attend the Church of Nature (preferably while moving along on a trail somewhere) and am aligned more with Buddhist teachings. The new Pope Francis is a breath of fresh air in an institution that's lost it's way- so far-so good anyway, but I digress.

Unlike the traditional Poinsettia at Christmas mass,  this flower has a smell and what a heavy sweet atmosphere a number of lilies produces. You know how people say the smell of cooking and baking brings back childhood memories? The smell of an Easter Lily brings back a total kaleidoscope for me: spirituality, being a good Catholic girl, my mom, my mom getting married, my mom doing Easter, my mom who's no longer with us.

Okay, so I wasn't at my Mom and Dad's wedding. That would have been pretty scandalous at the time. Wearing a white dress or being married in the Church was not an option. So, glad I didn't show up till later. But here is their wedding photo. Growing up, I loved to look at this over and over. There most have been quite a heft in carrying all those lilies.



Move forward in time when she has three kids and became completely exuberant in her approach to holidays. She was born on Christmas and perhaps it was the case of having your special day overshadowed. Our house was utterly transformed for the every holiday, but especially Christmas. Every surface was festooned with decorations or lights. It was a happy day when Mom discovered a putty that allowed her to adhere Christmas balls to the ceiling. What pure magic growing up- except.... The memory of Christmas also has a significant twinge of anxiety, the dark side. There always seemed to be arguments and tension, probably in part due to the incredible undertaking of decorating, cookie baking (at least 8 kinds), the whole family on a month long sugar high, presents, money to buy presents, and a full sit-down dinner. It's taken almost all my adult life to learn to create holidays in my life that have some of that exuberance without going into an abyss of exhaustion and irritation. I really want to enjoy being a guest at this thing Jon and I have worked so hard at.

Somehow Easter seemed to have the magic without the same anxiety. Maybe the energy needed was matched by what was going on outside; the plant world waking up, unfurling, renewed. Still had the decorating, cookie baking, candy making, full dinner, and shopping for a new Sunday outfit for my sister and brother, and myself. For the crowning glory, she created the most amazing Easter baskets. No store bought things, but little worlds of candy and color she made that were swathed in colored cellophane and ribbon. I would stare into that little fantasy world and feel immersed in a world of wonder and magic. It was as though I would burst at the seams with happiness- and anticipation of many days of chocolate eating ahead!

So, by way of a very long explanation; this arrangement is in dedication with love to mom,
 aka Jean, Jenny, and Genevieve.









No comments:

Post a Comment