Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Dried Garlands at Serenity Farm 2019

"I made my loops too tight, I have to rip it out and start over". Kathy and  Kyra  gasped- no!
Kathy is one of my oldest and dearest California friends. Kyra, her daughter, is my god-daughter. They invited me to a blanket knitting workshop right before Christmas-  with practically a guarantee that we would walk out in three hours with a finished blanket made from yarn thick as a celery stick. Instead, I walked out with a mess of a start and 4 more skeins of yarn. I wasn't discouraged as I knew what to do in the next round. Mid- workshop I realized I had been making my stitches too tight, so I took my blanket apart. Then I worked too fast, sort of trying to catch up, made mistakes in hurrying and knew I had to take it apart yet again.

Part of the reason for my hasty work was that I had just been working on a garland prior to coming to this workshop. Geeze, for god's sake, here I was again, bending over a project in another medium, trying to get the right tension and finding a rhythm right so that all your materials create a row about the same thickness -  It's second nature now in garland making, but not in the medium of yarn. What I should have done was to put my feet up and watch my friends fly through the creation of their cozy blankets and work on mine later when I was fresh. I had to laugh. If you have taken my workshops you know that the my mantra is deconstruct and reconstruct when needed. Bingo.

And a long Segway to introduce our second year at Serenity Farms. This time we used their amazing inventory of dried flowers to make garlands instead of wreaths. Wiring, like knitting is not always easy. The results were beautiful, though difficult to capture without a wide angle lens.












No comments:

Post a Comment