Monday, February 23, 2015

A Memorial

Doing flowers for a Memorial/Life Celebration holds a special place in my heart. I've lost a number of friends; way too young, along with my parents and Jon's parents. And then there are our beloved animals, Bosco, Moey, Moo Shu, and Ruby...  It's familiar, gut wrenching territory. These times are so raw and weighted in the sorrow, though there has always been a bittersweet kind of beauty and grace and even moments of laughter. It's such a distinct place mentally, a temporary circle of people whose members band together to perform their tasks and rituals and grieve. It's a sacred space, if I can use that word. The flowers take their place as they do for all of our important passages in life, side by side with us. 

These flowers were for a beloved member of the renowned Modern Mandolin Quartet who taught at the San Francisco Music Conservatory. I worked on this together with Max lampert, my dear friend and often creative partner. Bruce Veldhuizen, also a close friend and sought after builder of fine cabinetry and creative pieces, built this complex sphere that he graciously loaned to us.








No comments:

Post a Comment