Wednesday, December 17, 2014

O Christmas Tree

In early November Jon and I were snorkeling in the warm waters off Laniki Beach on Oahu. The last few weeks find us pretty miserable health wise, with colds and scary things that are worse than colds, but recoverable. Which has led to a  major deficit in energy for all things holiday: baking, present buying, finding a tree, decorating. This beautiful pine relic blown down from the latest big rainstorm may have to suffice as our Christmas tree- so far anyway. I'm trying to decide how I feel about that. My tastes in the visual world and lifestyle world tend to swing in a pendulum from either over the top or very spare and I'm trying on the spare motif for size as we approach this holiday.  In a way it's a relief- We have a pass card this year.

When I really think about what is absolutely necessary this time of year; my list is short:

The company of friends and family
Candles and sparkling lights
Some good food
Music
A few wonderful flowers and greens sprinkled around the house
Oh, and maybe a few chocolate chip cookies




No comments:

Post a Comment