Thursday, October 6, 2016

For the Roses- again

Last night my friend Max asked me what my favorite flower was (ah, the question that keeps on keeping on). Hers are/have been peonies, though there are flowers one is smitten with for a day or season.

Hmm... what will it be -martogon lilies, frittalaria, scabiosa, scented snapdragons, hellebore, violets in bunches, foliage of any kind, the variety of peonies that finally turn the color of slightly steeped tea, one sprig of some wild weedy thing .....??

It only took a second to say "roses". 
Not standard roses, but blown open, multi- layered old fashioned garden variety roses. They have been on my mind recently. One day I realized that I had showered with a moisturizing, rose scented soap, drank rose tea, and was treating with good results-  vaginal dryness with a specialized rose oil 
( I mean, come on- how did roses know?)  

What a reciprocal relationship we have with them. We keep their species going by hybridizing the heck out of them (and keeping the old species varieties going) and they serve us with food, healing benefits, and beauty for the soul.They have for centuries been a symbol of love.

But wait. In pondering the favorite flower question I had to ponder the orchid. What did I do for ten recent years but study and make painting of orchids in a series called "Orchid Dreams".



They are completely compelling and other worldly. I loved studying and painting them, but I didn't love them. But when I think of roses, I associate them with puppies and Mom's manicotti and all things dear and familiar. Maybe if I grew up in a tropical climate and picked orchids to put in a jelly jar, my feelings towards them would be different.



A few from this year: A spring rose, a late autumn rose and some standard spray roses leftover from an event.









 




2 comments: